9/18/14

We Are a Constant Work In Progress



Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
George Bernard Shaw
“I need to find myself.” So many times have I heard or even spoken those horrid words. Yes, horrid. The mere mention of this phrase means you believe that you are little more than a key chain or a cell phone that has been misplaced, lost till found by simple luck or fortune, where you are stuck in the same rut while you desperately search for them, wasting your day as you back track all your steps.

This mentality only leads to a person to run around desperately in circles. It’s based on the idea that you can back track your life till you figure out where it was that got lost. And then come the lamentations, and the sentimentalism, and the drama of a wasted life, as if you were in your death bed; as if your life is over.

I never look back, darling! It distracts from the now. -Edna ‘E’ Mode, The Incredibles

I will be the first to admit heading down this road at one time in my life. That was till I found Bernard Shaw’s quote. So I wrote it in bold black letters in the cover page of my journal. I printed it and placed it my desk. And I repeated it over and over till it became my Mantra. I have the power to create myself. I work to become who I chose to become. It wasn’t that I had lost myself. I knew full well where I was, and it wasn’t a place I wanted to stay in. If I had lost anything, it was focus.

You are not just some random person you stumbled into, but rather a result of every action you take and how you handle every even that happens to you. And guess what? The man you are tomorrow is defined by what you do today. So go out there and find your focus. Create yourself, define yourself. And understand that you are and forever will be a work in progress define by every action you take.

No comments:

Post a Comment