10/3/14

The Melancholy of the Thin Blue Line.



Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us.
Oscar Wilde
Last night I sat down with a group of friends, a rather diverse group who many of them have relocated to this area. I guess that very diversity, or the second scotch, led the conversation down the road of melancholy and nostalgia, as we discussed things we missed about our hometowns. By the time they asked me, my answer was simple.

The Thin Blue Line.

Let me explain as you probably have the same confused expression they had at that moment. I have been blessed (or cursed, depending who you ask) with constantly relocating. For me, moving to a new location carries very little anxiety. Some people develop strong roots growing up, roots that tie them emotionally to a specific place. Since I moved around so much, this never really happened. Except for the ocean.

In all my relocations, I have always lived pretty close to the ocean. Till now. Now I live inland, and have no view of the ocean. And for the first time in a long time I can’t see that line between the bright blue sky and the deep blue sea.

We think that we will miss the big things when there is a change in our lives. The reality is that what we will miss will probably be those things we take for granted, those constants we assume will never change. And yet, these are some of the sacrifices we must do to move forward in life.

It’s fine to miss who you were, and the comforts of old memories. Do I miss the bluer sky? The deep sea? Yes. These things defined who I am today. Yet these things must never become anchors keeping me from moving forward.

Take the time to look around at the simple things. Enjoy where you are now. Appreciate it. Soon enough it will all become a memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment