5/23/14

The Mercy Rule. A gentleman’s dignity and a Warrior’s Honor.


There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be conquered by the spirit.
Napoleon Bonaparte
To learn how to fight, to test themselves, or to develop discipline are just some of the many reasons People train in combat. I have always believed that part of what defines a true Gentleman is having that martial training, be it from a Military Education or be it from a Martial Discipline. Life is a struggle, a constant combat, to become a better man. This Martial training gives you the tools necessary to stand face to face with life. 

Keep in mind that I am not talking about your fists when I mention Martial Training giving you proper tools. What it gives you is discipline, responsibility, and humility. That is why I cannot stand fighters who brag about their skill yet having no idea what it means to be a Warrior. They might be great at beating someone up, but they are little more than brawlers and petty sluggers.

So when I was sent this vid, I was inspired. Amateur MMA fighter Mike Pangtangco was recently in a match where the disparity between his skills and his opponent’s were incredibly obvious from the start. So before the fight really even got going, he just tapped out. When asked why, his reply was that of a true Gentleman/Warrior
He didn’t train against me and I didn’t train for him…The only thing I’m going to finish the fight is him to go in the hospital…and I would feel terrible.
Remember, gentlemen. You train for yourself and you fight to test yourself. This is not about glory, or ego, or vanity. Not stopping the fight, not giving up would have been the act of a man guided, not by honor or discipline, but by vanity and pride.


No comments:

Post a Comment